Monday, January 31, 2011
I feel like there's been a lot of negativity breeding around lately and I've been struggling in my head about how to deal with it. But the challenge is to: count your blessings and just quit complaining. I like that.
Here's a little list of what I'm thankful for right now:
1. The devastation of the flooding here in Brisbane (as well as a few other little things lately) keep reminding me of the bigger picture (here, and in the rest of the world)-- and when I think about it, it makes me sick to realise the amount of money I spend on ridiculous, superficial things that I convince myself I "need".
I'm thankful for the big things-- the roof over my head, the money in my bank account (no matter how much...), the food and good health I can afford to buy.
2. I'm thankful for aloe vera gel. I got more than a teeny bit sunburnt at the beach yesterday (bad, bad Rachael) and aloe vera is my saviour.
3. I'm thankful every day for my mister. He came along when I was least expecting it, but I had a feeling about this one right from the start -- he's definitely a keeper and he makes me happy.
4. I am also thankful (and super excited!) because we're going away this weekend to celebrate his birthday (and our anniversary) and I CAN'T wait. I love weekend adventures :)
4. I have been wanting to buy a brand spankin' new mac so badly for quite some time.... they're so shiny and big and FAST. But, until I save enough pretty pennies, I'm going to be thankful I still have my old one, and it still does the job just fine.
5. I'm so very thankful for the sunshine. It was starting to feel like the rain around here was nevvvvver going to end, but it's been lovely and summery the last few weeks and it warms my heart :) (sometimes, a little too much-- hence my terrible sunburn!).
sources: Dennis Bautista. aloevera1.org. littlegoldlemons.
Saturday, January 29, 2011
We're planning on hanging out with friends, and hopefully (if the weather decides to play nice), road trip it down to the beach. We've been going nearly every weekend lately and I love-love-love it. Makes me feel kinda healthier :)
Hope your weekend is dreamy x
"If you want to be happy, be". -- Leo Tolstoy.
sources: takeshotxatlife. dellbbyy. hello gaby. borealnz. pgentner. seabelly. beehives. marylenagbang. imgfave.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
So my very lovely friend and fellow blogger, Sarah at Hip & Haute very kindly awarded me a Stylish Blogger and a Beautiful Blogger award, bless her :) Sarah and I work together (her crazy dancing antics definitely keep us amused on a slow afternoon!) and if you are into beauty, fashion and all things hip and haute, you should definitely check out her blog.
So the idea is that you pass the award onto seven other bloggers, and then share seven little facts about yourself. It was p-r-e-t-t-y hard to narrow it down to just seven of my favourite bloggers, cos I have a blog reading list from here to eternity -- but here goes:
I love reading blogs that share their own happy snaps and snippets into their lives -- it feels a bit like you're actually getting to know them and I think that's why Rummey Bears is one of my faves. I love seeing new photos of Anna's gorgeous little girl, and I love the simplicity of her blog design -- so clean but effective, which is how I love to design as well.
If you're into creativity, Color Me Katie is one super inspiring blog. So fun, colourful and happy with beautiful, crisp photos -- makes me feel like skipping down the street, singin' a tune (which, do not fear, I would never actually do!).
I have only just started regularly reading Cakies but it has quickly become one of my faves. Rubyellen has reignited my love of vintage clothing and her kiddos are super duper cute. I think I also love her because she's filipino (like me!). Oh, and she also has an etsy store where she sells cute crafty things for kids.
Yep, I'm going to make the call -- Pacing The Panic Room is probably my current all-time fave blog. I LOVE reading this family's cute, quirky and relatable stories and watching funny little videos of Tessa Tangerine (never fails to make me laugh, the kid is a total character!). Ryan's photos are gorgeous and he even throws in the occasional "how to" photography post.
Bespoke Press is a blog of what's going on behind the scenes of Bespoke Letterpress Boutique. They produce THE loveliest letterpress prints, note cards, custom wedding invitations and other stationery. I especially like to read this one because Alischa was one of my design teachers when I studied at Shillington College, and I love that place like nuthin' else.
Design Crush features a little bit of everything -- design and photography, inspiration, favourite quotes, lovely homewares, recipes -- and everything in between (which is exactly why I like it).
Last (but definitely not least) is Vivat Veritas. This blog is also relatively new to my "to read" list, but I found it after making a purchase at Chie's etsy store (where she sells lovely handmade clothing -- my kimono jacket is one of my favouritest things in my wardrobe). She lives in Tokyo (JEALOUS) and is currently expecting her first little bebbe.
and onto to part two:
1. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 19 y.o. I grew up in a religious family and it's just not something we did. My mum didn't like it at first, but then she went and got hers pierced too - HA.
2. I'm left-handed (yep, south-paw) and I love it :) I like being different to most other people, although it does make it difficult to learn how to play the guitar. My bf, Patrick is also left-handed, and yes, I do think this makes us even more amazing together ;)
3. I hate onion and will go out of my way to avoid eating it (leaving a nice little pile on the side of my plate) . I can only eat it if I can't see or taste it.
4. I barely ever sweat very much-- I have no idea why (but I'm not complaining!). Not even in a sauna, unless I've been in there for a verrrry looonggg time. I'm pretty sure everyone at my gym thinks I don't work hard enough -- which I DO, of course ;).
5. My eye colour has changed since I was younger; they used to be solid brown, but now they're brown in the middle, and green around the outside. A complete stranger once complemented me on it (thank you, lovely lady).
6. I prefer the taste of pepsi over coke. I didn't know this until last year.
7. I have been dyeing my hair dark, dark brunette for so many years, I actually have no idea what my real hair colour looks like (I THINK it's more of a medium brown).
Follow my blog with bloglovin
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Friday, January 14, 2011
Monday, January 10, 2011
Pantone has described 'honeysuckle 18-2120' as "bold" and "uplifting", and you know what -- I have to agree. The last couple of years feel like there's been so much major change, stress, upheaval, questioning and just a little bit of craziness goin' on for pretty much everyone I know. But it kinda does feel like that's going to start to change this year. Not reealllllly sure why I feel that way -- I just do... but hey, I did predict what the colour of the year was going to be didn't I? ;) This colour feels like happiness and warmth to me. Here's my tribute to 'honeysuckle':
I'm pretty sure I remember running around to the side of my
church when I was a little kid and picking honeysuckle
flowers to suck out their sweetness.
Mmmm... yummy desserts.
Makes me feel like baking (just so I can eat them afterwards!).
These prints are so breathtaking -- I think they would look perfect
in a white frame. You can buy there here from one of my very
favourite etsy sellers, Nan Lawson (she also sells very lovely illustrations).
How purrrttty is this shade of eyeshadow? (It is actually even called
'honeysuckle' - wooo!). Definitely not for the feint-hearted, but you can be
guaranteed you wouldn't go unnoticed. It's an organic, mineral product,
which makes it even better. Find it here.
Now, I would consider myself quite the "girly" girl - ie. I am
addicted to dresses, a total sucker for a pretty, vintage floral, I don't mind
a good (non-cheesy) rom-com and, much to my dismay, I am pretty much
unco-ordinated at any and every sporting activity. Having said that, I am
not really into wearing pinks -- I think I own one pink top, which I have
never actually worn. But when I saw this dress, I nearly changed my mind -
that colour is pretty amazing (and how cute is that necklace?).
This has got to be THE cutest little lovebird I've ever seen. SO cute,
it kills me! I also l-o-v-e the fact that it's crocheted (I still want to learn!).
through the the rest of the store for more super, duper crocheted cuteness.
Love this 'honeysuckle' hued graphic necklace (get it here) and this fabric
button ring (get it here). Perfect if you're not brave enough for 'honeysuckle'
eye shadow or dresses :)
I l-o-v-e the idea of pretty smells that come from nature. Jasmine is
definitely my all-time favourite floral smell (it reminds me of summer),
but I think 'honeysuckle' would be pretty darned nice. You can find this